Sinergie-SIMA 2018 Conference
Call for paper
The Sinergie-Sima conference as a strategic alliance in Italian management studies
For 30 years, the Sinergie Italian Journal of Management has been organizing an annual conference that unites management scholars in order to enable them to present and discuss their research within a collaborative and friendly environment.
In the current transforming university system, Sinergie and Sima, the Italian Society of Management (Società Italiana di Management), have started an increasingly intense collaboration that culminated in a joint management of the conference which has taken on the role of the Sinergie-Sima conference since 2015. The main objective of the initiative is to create relationships among scholars, disseminate knowledge in the economic-managerial field, and promote the contribution of Italian scholars to the international debate on management issues.
Conference theme and objectives
The transformation of a sector is usually connected with the adoption of a new technology. However, although these new technologies are often key factors, they are never enough to spur the transformations at hand by themselves.
A business model that connects a new technology – or a new way of applying it – with a market need fosters important changes in a sector; this, in turn, creates a new combination in the process of value creation.
Business models that generate transformations may concern, for instance, an increased personalization of products, processes of circular economy, the sharing economy, pay per use systems, and adaptable and agile forms of organization.
The Sinergie-Sima 2018 conference intends to focus on “transformative” business models and necessary strategic evolutions viewed as challenges for business management in the near future.
Organization of the Conference
The main topic of the conference will be discussed by alternating plenary and parallel sessions that will take place between Thursday June 14th and Friday June 15th.
The plenary sessions, in particular, will be based on the contributions of renown academics and professionals who will take part in the debate as key speakers, discussants or interviewees.
During the parallel sessions, the full papers that have been selected by means of a double blind peer review will be presented. One or more specific sessions dedicated to the extended abstracts will also be programmed, giving participants the chance to present their projects and benefit from the comments and suggestions of the chair person and other participants during constructive discussion sessions.
Full papers and extended abstracts may be proposed in Italian or English.
Sinergie and Sima invite participants to present papers and extended abstracts on the following topics pertaining to the specific theme of the conference:
- Definitions of strategy in the XXI century
- Strategy sense in turbulent times
- Strategy at a corporate level and competitive strategies
- Strategy between theory and practice
- The strategy formulation process between deliberate and emerging strategies
- Decision-making and strategy
- Decision Support Systems, artificial intelligence and strategy
- Behavioral strategy
- Strategy and value-chain deconstruction
- Strategy and blurred boundaries between industries
- Strategy and new business models
- Theoretical and conceptual aspects of business models
- Business models and technology
- Non-technological evolution of business models
- Business models from a perspective of sustainability
- Business models as social actors of progress
- Business models in a circular economy
- Sharing economy, pay per use and other business models
- Competition and collaboration in business
- Business strategies for a better world
In addition to papers and extended abstracts regarding the specific theme of the conference, colleagues are also invited to submit proposals on the various research areas that characterize the management studies and will be discussed in the following thematic sessions:
- Innovation and technology management
- International business
- Tourism and culture management
- Small and family businesses
- Retailing and Service management
- Marketing and communication
Paper and extended abstract submission
Only unpublished papers that have not been previously submitted for publication or presented at other conferences and that are not under review by other journals and/or conferences will be accepted for the conference and subsequent proceedings.
Full paper submission
To submit a paper for the Sinergie-Sima conference, two separate files must be sent using a Microsoft Word for Windows format:
– A file entitled ‘IA’ detailing the authors, the title of the paper, information on the authors (e.g., qualifications, scientific disciplinary sectors, email addresses and mobile phone numbers-this information is reserved for the exclusive use by Sinergie’s administration) and any paragraph attributions, acknowledgement sections and references to research projects that led to the drafting of the paper; and
– A file entitled ‘FP’ comprising the full paper (based on the conference template and no longer than 18 pages) that includes a structured abstract (no longer than 250 words), key words and a reference section. The abstract should be divided as follows: objectives of the paper, methodology, findings, practical implications, limitations of the research and originality of the paper. The insertion of figures and tables as images (i.e., .bmp; .jpeg; .jpg; .png; .gif formats) is not allowed; any figures and tables should be provided in a Microsoft Word format. Any related files of additional tables and figures must be attached in their original format (e.g., xls). Footnotes should only be used to make comments, provide more in-depth analysis and note further considerations, and should not be used to provide any bibliographical information.
Extended abstract submission
To submit an extended abstract for the Sinergie-Sima conference, please send a file entitled ‘EA’ using a Microsoft Word for Windows format. The length of the extended abstract should be no less than 5 pages and no more than 8 pages.
Guidelines for authors and the required templates for the submission of full papers and extended abstracts are available at www.sinergiejournal.it starting January 2018.
Files should be sent as an email attachment to Laura Ciarmela, editorial staff member of Sinergie, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Peer review process
For full papers
Each paper will undergo a double-blind peer review process that could lead to full acceptance, acceptance with the reviewers’ suggestions, or rejection.
Authors of papers that are accepted with reviewers’ suggestions will have sufficient time to add the adjustments and improvements indicated by the referees and submit an updated version of the paper. It will then be submitted to an editorial review and, afterwards, author(s) will receive a notification of the final evaluation.
For extended abstracts
The extended abstracts may consist in a report of a completed research project or in the illustration of a research project that is still in its phase of development or completion. The conference represents a valuable opportunity to promote a debate among peers: therefore, extended abstracts regarding research projects that are still under development are welcome, so long as their conceptual development, objectives and methodological frameworks are clearly identified. Moreover, the authors are required to clearly indicate that the research is still “in working progress”. The assessment of extended abstracts is carried out by the Scientific Committee.
Unless publication is explicitly waived by the author(s) at the time of the paper’s submission, all accepted full papers that have been presented at the conference will be published online in the Referred Electronic Conference Proceedings and copyrighted with ISBN and DOI codes.
The extended abstracts that have been presented at specific sessions of the conference will be published online in a separate volume of Conference Proceedings and copyrighted with ISBN and DOI codes.
Conference Proceedings will be released in an open access form via the Sinergie website (www.sinergiejournal.it) after the conference. Before uploading, extensive editorial work is carried out on the submitted work to ensure their quality and professional standards, and no fee is charged for the editorial work.
Every author (or where there are multiple authors, at least one author) must present the paper and/or extended abstract during the parallel sessions of the conference. Failure to do so will result in the exclusion of the paper or extended abstract from the Referred Electronic Conference Proceedings.
Publication in Sinergie Italian Journal of Management
The Conference Scientific Committee will select from 8 to 10 of the full papers presented at the Conference for publication in a 2019 special issue of Sinergie.
Sinergie is ranked “C” by ANVUR for VQR 2011-2014 and it is ranked “A” by AIDEA among Italian business administration journals (www.accademiaaidea.it). The authors of the papers that have been selected for publication in the special issue of Sinergie will be announced and rewarded at the concluding plenary session of the conference.
Publication in Sinergie Italian Journal of Management is free of charge.
Further publication opportunities
The conference website will provide information about further publication opportunities on qualified international journals.
Awards and recognitions
Selected papers and the 3 best papers among these will be acknowledged by the Scientific Committee with an award during the closing session of the conference.
A certificate of presentation will be issued to all participants presenting their research papers.
A certificate for chairing a session will be issued to chairs, thus acknowledging their contribution to the conference.
A peer reviewing certificate will be issued to reviewers, thus acknowledging their contribution to the conference.
Online registration on the conference website www.sinergiejournal.it will be possible starting February 1, 2018.
Standard registration fee covering access to all daytime conference sessions, online conference proceedings, lunches, refreshments, the gala dinner and (only in Italy) a 2018 subscription to Sinergie: € 250 if paid by April 30, 2018, or € 365 starting May 1 until the date of the conference.
Promotional fees for Sima associates, researchers and PhD students are available. More details may be found on the conference web site.
Two alternative combinations of the conference fee and journal subscription are available for Italian participants if payment is made by May 15, 2018.
Registration opening: February 1, 2018
Early-bird registration: April 30, 2018
Registration deadline: May 31, 2018
Although the city of Venice offers numerous options in terms of hotel accomodation, it is an characterised by very intense tourism activity and the conference will take place during the high season. The following hotels offer special prices agreed upon with the Ca’ Foscari University: Hotel Saturnia & International (4 stars), Hotel Papadopoli – McGallery Collection (4 stars), Hotel La Fenice et des Artistes (3 stars superior), Hotel Al Sole (3 stars).
Ca’ Foscari University of Venice
Dipartimento di Management
S. Giobbe, Cannaregio 873
30121 Venice – Italy
to The Journal
FIND A SPECIFIC ISSUEsubscribe